Site Inactive

Who Has No Life?
None

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sundesmos Forum Index -> Officer Archive (Hate and Bey posts)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anteres
SweeBeeps
Officer

re: Player Development / Other Ideas

I want to start by saying I want to move parts of this thread into general members view as soon as I can, as I feel we have a ton of people who can help us out with some parts.

As Dunemaul continues to have issues, I believe we need to adjust what we're doing in order to stay ahead of prolonged staffing issues. Proportionally to what's around on the server, we've become a larger guild, and that may be a bit intimidating to some newer players that may end up with us. In order to help new players adjust to how we operate and bring them into the fold, I have a couple propositions to run by everyone.

Buddy System

We want to be able to welcome cool new people into the guild as best as we can, so I wanted to propose a multi-purpose sort of buddy system. We would take volunteer members who have been in the guild for a long time and pair them up with new members for a little while (what sort of a time frame do you think we need?), have them get to know knew people and help them get squared away with:

- A whose who in the guild: letting them know who they can talk to for doing heroics / inviting to LFR, telling them need to know things for the guild (who to talk to for pve class questions, pvp etc),

- Spec/Rotation/DPS tips and help: We want to develop these people into PvE/PvPers with some guidance in order to help ourselves out in all of our endgame aspirations. The GB is full of enchants / gems etc that can be utilized to help new players out as well.

- A quick website walkthrough (how to signup, where to view what’s needed etc)

- Encouragement, Encouragement, Encouragement!

- Tracking. Being able to get a feel for how someone is as a player will help us gauge how much effort we need to put into someone to get them ready. There will obviously be cases where we just won’t get through, and we’ll have to deal with that as it comes but, but I believe overall we should be able to develop our own new members much faster overall.

We'll figure out some sort of fun perk (nicknames etc? I’m open suggestions?) for the people helping out too. We’re a long way from Wrath where you HAD to work in groups with people or you didn’t run heroics. People can do a lot alone, and that can give a lot of room for undeveloped players to learn bad habits.

1 on 1 Conversations

One of the easiest ways to help these players out is just sending tells (outside of the obvious doing stuff with them :P). 1 on 1 chats are great ways to invite them to take part in the guild things, talk about post to the welcome threads (this is why I'm sad it isn't 12 pages long anymore, we had a lot of random stuff that we've all done), take part in open raid discussions etc. Just letting someone know that we’re looking out for them and want them to succeed with us could go a long way.

This principal can also be applied for raids. Back when I was leading Ulduar, I was in constant contact with our people who weren’t signing up for raids, letting them know that there would be a place for them if they could meet our minimum requirements and encouraging them to participate more.

What other benefits does a development program have?

If we can get some sort of our program in place quickly, we will hopefully be able to see that our raids and PvP events. We all love it here, and I’m sure new people will love it here too once they get comfortable – we just need to nudge them in the right direction :D

Additionally, we will be able to adjust how we recruit as a whole. There are still a number of small guilds on Dunemaul that are between 5 and 10 people, are a group of close friends, and who just do things on a small scale. If we can tell them we’ve got a place for them, and are willing to train them to the level they need to get to if they need it, we can work to bring in larger groups of people at a time to bolster our ranks. Guilds like Medicated and Made of Stars are somewhat the size of what I’d be talking about (I’ve been talking with people in both guilds lately just about who they are and what they do to feel them out a bit).

Phone Tree

We’ve talked about this one before, and I think it’s more important for us now than before. I’d like to get a guild phone tree going of people who wouldn’t mind getting a text if we’re short on people and they can fill in. I know Kaz sends them out fairly well in advance of a raid when she’s looking to fill a spot, so this could just help give her a better list to work from.

Raiding Ideas

1) I believe that in terms of how our raids have been currently running, we may need to reevaluate our days (how do Mondays or Wednesdays look for people?) for our 2nd through the week raid as Thursdays seem to have issues.

2) Additionally, I would like to consider moving MSV to a weekend raid to help foster gearing up new people (as they seem to have more luck with weekends from what I’ve gathered in talking ot them), and making HoF our through the week raid. Additionally, I believe that for the next few weeks we should start extending HoF to see if we can get Garalon down before 5.2 rolls out.

As an update here, it we started this last night (I had written this all earlier in the day) - Does it look like this will work out?

3) I also personally support moving onto the next set of raids ASAP when they open up to start working on the next cycle full of better gear than what we currently have available to us.

I also saw this article today, to go perhaps help support the player development idea. It seems like there's a definate demand for this sort of service, we just need to see how we want to do it.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/02/13/server-outcast-in-south-korea-rekindles-wow-community/

Last edited by SweeBeeps on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Anteres
SweeBeeps
Officer

I also saw this article today, to go perhaps help support the player development idea. It seems like there's a definate demand for this sort of service, we just need to see how we want to do it.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/02/13/server-outcast-in-south-korea-rekindles-wow-community/

Nagram

Although the thought of having some kind of player development program seems cheesy, I think there's a way of doing it that doesn't scream "We assume we are better than you and you suck," and having it be more informal and relaxed. Maybe not acting like it's senior day at high school and assigning a freshmeat to a senior member, but maybe privately just asking around who might be interested in just taking a person under their wing per say and working with them to get to know the guild and help with any questions they have. Encourage new people to raid is a big one I think.

I'm all for the phone tree. I don't mind giving out my #, even though I'm there 99% of the time anyway.

I'm also for putting our raid days up for a change. I like the MSV weekend idea. There are certain people who I seem to see on the weekend mostly (and believe me, I've played a lot at all times of day over the last month) that maybe just don't have the time during the week. So could be a good way of getting newer peoples' feet wet and getting them gear and getting comfy with playing with us. Maybe they'll make an effort to make weekday raids as well.

I also want to start doing casual "raids" for a lack of a better term. For mount runs, achievements or just world pvp. As well as BGs or if there's enough interest a full raid. I agree this would be a great way to get newer people involved and want to raid big boy stuff with us as well. I would love to start putting those types of things together if there aren't any objections. It was actually why I became an adviser in the first place was to lead classic raids.

I know my sentences are running on and maybe don't make much sense. Sorry, didn't get much sleep last night and the meds are kicking my ass this morning. Happy

Some ideas I was tossing around in my noggin that JD wanted me to throw on here for other people to see:

1) Making mics mandatory
I'm not trying to make this a dictatorship or anything. Its just way easier, to have someone reply back verbally to a question -during fights- than for them to stop and type out a response. Most of the time, them stopping to type ends badly. The second part is that they don't get to put their two cents in when we start discussing a strat or just simply shooting the shit. I feel like that makes them feel somewhat excluded and less comfortable with us in general. It's much harder to bond with someone through typing. :P

They don't have to shoot the shit with us if they don't want to. I would just like, at the minimum, for them to be able to reply back if I'm like "How many stacks of pheromones do you have?" "12" "Roger". If anything we can just ask those few individuals why they don't want to/can't talk in vent with us, and go from there.

2) Goal points for people
In a sense, it will feel like two separate raid groups, but it won't be. Tossing around the idea of two progression nights, and 1-2 farm content nights. Now, with that has to come with some sort of rubric for how to judge if someone is ready for moving into the farm content group, or the progression group. It'd look something like this

Step 1: Getting to the ilvl mark. I'm considering lowering the mark for farm content, maybe 465. The progression group will remain at 470, however. But to get into farm content, we're going to be a little more lax that we have been in the past. We don't want to scare anyone away or discourage them. At the same time, we have to have a standard of measurement. In conjunction with JD's buddy idea, knowing when someone's ready for raiding will be that much easier. I view it more as "hey I can go talk to this guy for help" more than "I am your superior, listen to me!".

Step 2: Test runs. Once they feel like they've hit the ilvl mark and are confident in their ability, they need to sign up for the farm content, which in this case would be MSV. I feel like, for DPS at least. If they're not pulling at least above both tanks 9/10 fights, then they need to go back to Step 1 and figure out some things. Their buddy can help them evaluate their spec/talents/gems/reforging/rotation and hopefully, the next go around, they can be pulling better numbers. If they've excelled in the test run, time to move on to Step 3

Step 3: Integral to the farm content group and gearing up for progression. Basically, you show up and help knock down the farm content bosses so new people can get gear and you can get upgrades yourself here and there. Once you have the ilvl and feel confident in your ability (hey this sounds familiar) its time to play with the big boys in Step 4

Step 4: Test runs for Progression. Same deal, do better than the tanks, otherwise fall back a step. Again, if you excel here, time to move onto the final step

Step 5: Integral to Progression. Once you're here, do your best to keep up with it or else (you guessed it) fall back a step.

I hope at least some of that makes sense :x

Oh, and @ the phone tree.

It doesn't necessarily have to be people's numbers. It can be their gmail or some other sort of IM. Battle tags in game. Facebook. Whatever helps us to get at you when we don't see you online

All of these are great ideas. Can we get a list of new people who may need that kind of help?

I can work up an initial list of people I've spoken to soon (I'm posting from my phone at the moment), but i know of three out four people at least. Once we roll this out to everyone officially I'll have a way for pepper to sign up for it.

Posts from:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sundesmos Forum Index -> Officer Archive (Hate and Bey posts) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: