Site Inactive

Who Has No Life?
None

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sundesmos Forum Index -> Officer Archive (Hate and Bey posts)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beysii
Beysii
GM

re: Thoughts on changing up Advisors

Been thinking about some of our newer members and how Ant and I think they can really help this guild as Advisors. Namely Ryan and Pineapple.

Also considering retiring some current Advisors. I'm being very blunt here, but some of our Advisors simply don't participate in anything above and beyond what a good raider does. It's tough because it looks and feels and quacks like a demotion, but it's more moving people who are just chillin' anyhow back to that role and bringing in people who are enthusiastic about working to improve the guild.

* Lionseye - He's a good tank and a good raider. I just haven't really seen any participation on the forums, except some critiques and that's what a good raider should be doing.

* Surmy - I've known him forever, but he kinda logs and that's it. Does alot to help with contests, for sure, but we've never ran a contest that's gotten people engaged yet. *Will rant on this more in a later post*

* Elvin - I really hate this one, because I like Elvin and he has GREAT IDEAS. That you have to pry from him and piss him off half the time to get out of him. He's mostly active on critiques, and he's a fantastic raider as well.

I'm posting this HERE because I want your input - let me know what you think about asking people to step down and step up.

re: Re: Thoughts on changing up Advisors

I love the idea of making Ryan/Theo Advisors. They both really know what they're doing and are generally the most helpful. I see no problem with rewarding them for always bringing their A game.

As for changing Lions/Surmy/Turbo's ranks, I dunno, I think you put it best

Beysii wrote:
It's tough because it looks and feels and quacks like a demotion..."

Lions has a lot of stuff going on in his life atm, the rare times I see him it doesn't seem like he enjoys playing anymore or being around us in general anymore. Maybe its just me, but thats how it seems to be. He's a good raider, but if what you're looking for is active, helpful people I dunno if Lions is going to go the extra mile for us

Surmy, I hate to say it, but /yeah/ he really doesn't do shit. He does the Xmas stuff mainly, which he can still do without being an Advisor, but thats really all. If I see him online he's just PvPing occasionally or doing LFR.

And I have absolutely nothing to say about Turbo that won't sound terrible. I'm going to let that dog lie for now :P

I don't have much to add to this, but it's a fact that an advisor who doesn't advise isn't really an advisor. This really shouldn't be a painful or dramatic thing to remove people from. It's not saying that their input is now worthless, it's simply dealing with reality. There were expectations, yes? Those expectations were not met, yes? Then they are not the right person for the job, and it's not a big deal. They're still here in the guild, they're still fun people, they're still good players, they still may have good ideas to share, they just aren't in a position of any responsibility or accountability, which lets you enjoy the actual game more; especially when one is starting to feel burned out.

Ryan needs to be an advisor yesterday. He and I were talking after he picked up a few recruits for us (saw them looking in trade and started talking to them both on his own), and flat out said a very true line "We all thrive or fail together, just doing my part." He's also been incredibly active over his time with the guild.

Theo gets passionate about what he sees going on, as we've seen in threads, but also brings a solid history with him from his times in positions of leadership with other guilds. He's also helped people out by writing class guides and helping newer potential raiders get their situation straight.

I would like to add is putting Donbot on our list of potential new people to watch now. He's come better prepared to our raids than most of our raiders ever have (you mean he's coming to new content and has both read up and watched videos so we don't have to explain it all?!), and I know he's mentioned his prior experience as a GM as well.

Regarding our current less active advisors, we do have one unused rank in guild that we can utilize if we decide to, but I think we need to get other officers thoughts on the matter prior to feeling out too many directions.

Covinas
Officer

I agree 100% that both ryan and pineapple would make fantastic advisors!

I dont think lions would not mind being a lower rank in the guild.

Elvin is the only person on the list who i think may need some additional consideration. While he and I will occasionally dissagree on certer things, he has always had great input and advice.

Again, I think surmy would have no problem with a lower rank in the guild either.

Just gonna be tough to make it NOT sound like a demotion. I think that if we talk to each of them individually, they would not have any problems with it. I know that I wouldnt.

Awarded:

I think that everything you said bey makes sense.

Pineapple is good people, Ryan seems very hepful everytime I am on (which isn't much I know I know).

Other than that any thoughts I have about the subject have already been spoken. I say go for it.
Beysii
Beysii
GM

Well Ant brought up the extra rank, which is how Spartan started - it was basically a fluff title for people who were really good, then became the 'class leads' and helped with raiding then fell off the planet in terms of being used. We could do something that way - but if so what rank name and what would it mean? I think this more than anything would help with the 'demotion' problem.

Officer

I haven't been around a ton recently so I can't speak on the subject of who's been active/inactive since I haven't seen/don't know. Advisor should be an "active" rank, someone involved in the game currently who can provide advice or point people in the right direction.

I like the idea of bringing back some form of Spartan reconstituted to represent some form of very long term membership or skill.
RobO2112
Officer

Yeah, the ones who've been around longer than say... three consecutive years, call 'em "Lifers!"

I've talked to Ryan, Pineapple and Donbot about the moves, and they're all on board for whatever we ask of them. We just need to make the promotion move. I believe I'll let Naggers and Yorell in on some of the changes (that there will be new Advisors) as they're the two that will remain.

Ryan is looking forward to helping out. Pineapple is the same and did ask what would happen to his Warlord rank, we just have to adjust permissions on that (this is more a note for us as we have to adjust it all). Donbot I talked to more preemptively than anything, but he's got a good head on his shoulders,has prior guild leadership qualifications (he was a guild GM from Classic Naxx -> BT) and is eager to learn. Both of the others share similar qualifications, and they're all what we're looking for now.

Regarding all remaining Advisors / Officers, I would love to start to get a list of responsibilities out there so we can be clear on our guidelines for what we are asking of who (be it guide writing, raider reviews, running pvp events, new player development etc). We can segway this into another post if we need it, but I'll work on this over the next few days.

Regarding the new rank, I don't think we'll run into a ton of issues with moving people down if we maintain their access to ochat (for instance, I think that's all Surmy is really interested in), plus we won't LOSE their input during raids etc where we're used to seeing some of the help). I have no issues with that (most of the Advisor-heavy direct content is forum based, hence the activity issues with a few people), but we're still short a solid name for the rank.

Deinari

Lets name-storm then.

I like:
Veterans.

Conveys "hey you've been here for awhile and are important to us", but lacks direct authority.

Also, addition thought for differentiating between PVP and PVE officers. PVP organizers can have their own title: Warmaster.

Unfortunately we don't have enough ranks open to do a full rename unless we're changing the actual title of advisor ranks.

Beysii
Beysii
GM

Current Setup:

1) Officer (GM)
2) Officer
3) Advisor
4) Warlord
5) Senior Member
6) Junior Member
7) Alt
8) freshmeat
9) Bey's Bitch
10) <unused>

Some Options:

* Just take back the unused rank and make it something like 'Veteran'

* Remove the 'Alt' rank (which I know would make alot of people happy, but also means an extensive rework of 200+ alts we have)

* Remove Junior and rename Senior as just 'Member'. The catch with this is I will not give GB access to anyone without an authenticator. We already have several ppl holding at Junior currently because of this.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sundesmos Forum Index -> Officer Archive (Hate and Bey posts) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: