Site Inactive

Who Has No Life?
None

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sundesmos Forum Index -> Officer Archive (Hate and Bey posts)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anteres
SweeBeeps
Officer

re: Focusing Actions / Responsibilities (In Progress)

I've been working on some VERY rough 'back of the napkin' notes in a google spreadsheet regarding some changes I would like to try and implement in the way that we operate, and wanted to share the rough ideas with you all (meaning what's in here is 100% open to change, as things like raid leader responsibilities are already defined, and I included them in the sheet more as a matter of completeness).

The most radical part of it all that I want to change is splitting officers and advisors up into groups with specific goals and responsibilities to handle. If you look at the sheet, the two newest (and what will end up being the biggest) things I would like to do as a guild is start formalizing and implementing our training system and methods, while being supported internally by guide writers. There can and will be overlap in what teams people are on, but I would like to think that that will be more of a strength than anything else (having guide writers being involved in the training program, for example).

If anyone has any general feedback they would like to add to the ideas present here so far, please feel free to give me your two cents.

I hope to start converting/fleshing out the ideas in it into some discussion threads for everyone to see over the next week.

Additionally, if you would like to be added to any particular program, please let me know and I'll add you. In theory the training program will be one of our bigger projects as a whole, so we're definitely looking for more people interested there.

Current List of People to Talk To

Last edited by SweeBeeps on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nagram

I am good being a backup raid leader. Count me out on guide writing and formal training. I'm happy to share my pro tips to anyone who wants them, but I won't be able to live up to the expectations that you'll likely have.

In fact I don't mind taking a back seat to Theo as 2nd raid leader. Not like he ever shuts up anyway. ;)

I definitely want to be involved in some sort of advisory role, but the training thing is not appealing in the slightest. In fact I personally feel like if someone isn't willing to do the minimal amount of research online to l2p (like me - believe me, I do very little), I don't feel like I should be required to take the time to show their lazy asses how to play. But I know not everyone shares that feeling.

GM

Nagram wrote:
In fact I personally feel like if someone isn't willing to do the minimal amount of research online to l2p (like me - believe me, I do very little), I don't feel like I should be required to take the time to show their lazy asses how to play.

I think most people on some level feel this way. Here's the rationale behind why there is this big push right now:

While we are raiding every week, every week there is a scramble to get those last one or two people. I know Anteres has wanted to back off for a while now, but week after week, he's asked to raid to fill a slot. I'm sure there are others on this same boat. So we have limited resources in terms of raiders. For the volume of new members we have received recently, they are for the most part woefully unprepared for the roles we as a guild want them to fill in order to take the pressure off those of you who have been raiding forever, want the occasional break before you lose your minds, and haven't gotten it yet.

When someone is under-performing, there are generally two choices: help them, or get rid of them. We are yet to be in a position to have the luxury of getting rid of people. So instead we are going to focus on helping them improve, because it benefits more than just the 'lazy-ass' - it also benefits you and every other raider. It means less time wiping on bosses that people didn't prepare for, or having someone pulling 30k dps because they don't know what those little empty circles on their gear mean. It means a better raid experience.

TL;DR - If someone sucks, it's not just their problem, it's your problem too. Helping them helps them and you.

Advisor

Beysii wrote:

TL;DR - If someone sucks, it's not just their problem, it's your problem too. Helping them helps them and you.

I think where Nags is comming from is if someone does not want to learn on their own. They won't give a shit about someone trying to train them.
Anteres
SweeBeeps
Officer

I think when it comes to new players they don't know where to even begin, I've heard that from more than one person.

MoP is significantly more complicated than the game has been in the past, and I am of the opinion that as a matter of policy it's easier to force learnin' down their throats at the start, and back off if it's clear they don't need it. Out of our recent recruits, I feel only a small handful fall into that category.

Beysii
Beysii
GM

The ones who aren't interested in learning will be a quick check off the list, never to be bothered with again. Non-issue.

Advisor

SweeBeeps wrote:
I think when it comes to new players they don't know where to even begin, I've heard that from more than one person.

MoP is significantly more complicated than the game has been in the past, and I am of the opinion that as a matter of policy it's easier to force learnin' down their throats at the start, and back off if it's clear they don't need it. Out of our recent recruits, I feel only a small handful fall into that category.

In what way do you feel it's more complicated? I feel like they've dumbed it down like crazy over the past 2 expansions.
Anteres
SweeBeeps
Officer

Dailies options, ilevel gates, spec overhauls for almost everyone. All things we're working to create guides to address on top of discuss more frequently than ever before.

surmy
Advisor

SweeBeeps wrote:
Dailies options, ilevel gates, spec overhauls for almost everyone. All things we're working to create guides to address on top of discuss more frequently than ever before.

That's fair, in terms of actual game-play I feel it's the easiest it's ever been.
Posts from:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sundesmos Forum Index -> Officer Archive (Hate and Bey posts) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: