Site Inactive

Who Has No Life?
None

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sundesmos Forum Index -> Officer Archive (Hate and Bey posts)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anteres
SweeBeeps
Officer

re: Training Program (Expanded)

Fast growth can be a double edged sword unless we are careful about it. We all love meeting new people and seeing increased activity (especially with as barren as Dunemaul is these days), but we're not finding many 'Ready to Raid' players out there anymore and if left to their own devices, we've seen that players can take a long time to become viable for our progression raids.

This has lead to the question: How can we both facilitate growth in numbers while encouraging them to be the best players they can be (without being offputting!)? The answer I've come up with has ended up being an answer to a lot of the problems the guild has faced in the past: Tap the vast knowledge and ability of our members who are willing to lend a hand.

This has lead me to work on our yet to be named Training Program. It's general goal is to act as an outreach program to our new(er) members. This purpose alone should address multiple important aspects of their first few days or weeks in guild.

Most of the program takes part via one on one interactions directly with the player (we've found, going back to Wrath that we've always had better than expected interactions when we work directly with players versus forum posts) - it helps as an introduction to new members past their recruitment point of contact, helps us learn more about them and lets them learn more about us and how we are, and lets us see exactly what they aspire to do and what their motivation level is.

We will work to develop a master list of tools (guide of guides - any web developers :D ?) that all trainers will have available to them to serve as supporting materials for all types of player help (from class guides to gearing and rep guides, players to contact directly for additional help [hopefully we will be able to assign trainers who have relevant experience to the guildie they're helping out], useful 3rd party websites, and anything else we think we want or need). Additionally we want to have trainers encourage participation in guild events (heroics/lfrs/bgs/contests/dailies etc) that they may be doing or that they know are going on - again to help them build their familiarity with other people and help them get comfortable, faster. We're a big guild compared to most on Dunemaul, and we don't want to intimidate new members more than we have to (because face it, we have to a little and that can be [change font size]penis awkward enough).

What do we stand to gain from this?

For starters it will give us a solid grasp on the abilities of our player base en masse (we will have tracking spreadsheets that the officer in charge will maintain) and what we can expect from them in raids and BGs numbers wise. We will be able to guide them in their raid preparations, which will hopefully help avoid people showing up to raids with bad gear or bad habits. We will also be able to bring new players 'online' and raid capable faster, while hopefully making new friends in the process.

Some people have commented that they don't want to help players who aren't willing to help themselves, and while I agree, I also feel that if we don't give them the choice at the start then only the real disinterested players will stand out like a sore thumb, and we can deal with them from there.

Additionally, I also believe we should base our recruitment efforts out of the same pool of Officers and Advisors that are helping with this program. Having a vast wealth of knowledge and information at a players fingertips can be a powerful recruiting draw not only for individuals but I hope to be able to use to help us merge small guilds into us (I'm working on a couple myself, and the Who/How is something we could discuss in another thread if people want to explore this). Either way, I believe we need to come up with some guidelines for channel based recruitment (only one other guild does any on the server it seems, and we could benefit from the growth with the launch of this program) and get it implemented ASAP.

If you want to participate in this program, please post below.

If you have questions on the process, please post them and we can discuss it. I believe Kaz has a list to start with, and we can work on assignments based on the current people who have said they want to be involved. I optimally want to start to roll this out in a somewhat uniform way ASAP, and can modify this post slightly for our announcement.

Anteres
SweeBeeps
Officer

re: Training Program (Expanded)

Reserved - Sample conversation guide to go here.

Posts from:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sundesmos Forum Index -> Officer Archive (Hate and Bey posts) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: